Budget Announcement: Good News for First Time Buyers!
For first time buyers, now is a wonderful opportunity to look for your first home after the Chancellor announced that stamp duty on properties under £300,000 has been abolished from 22 November 2017.
This means that for a first-time buyer looking at properties for £300,000, who would previously have faced a stamp duty bill of £5,000, will not have to pay anything.
If a property is worth between £300,000 and £500,000 stamp duty will not be paid on the first £300,000; the normal rates of stamp duty on the price above that. This therefore means a saving of £5,000.
So now, if you are a first-time buyer, it is an excellent time to look for your first property. Or if you are thinking of selling a property below £500,000, there will be a higher pool of potential buyers who want your property.
If you have any questions get in touch with the team at V&H Homes and we will be able to give you all the help and support you need.
V&H HOMES: EPSOM EXPANSION
V&H Homes are delighted to announce that we have expanded the business by opening a location in Epsom.
We are now offering a comprehensive Sales and Lettings service to all of Epsom’s residents.
Due to being the market leading agency in Ashtead, V&H Homes already has a strong presence in Epsom and have sold and let multiple properties in the town over the years.
We are very excited at this natural expansion of the company and hope the homeowners of Epsom welcome the company as the individuals living in Ashtead and Fetcham have done so already.
Our forward thinking and experienced team, with a proven track record, is ready to hit the ground running. We will serve Epsom with the same brilliant, independently recognised service as our Ashtead and Fetcham offices.
1 Ashley Avenue
T: 01372 221 670
Monday to Saturday
8.30am – 6.00pm
Epsom – A Wonderful Place To Live
It comes as no surprise to the teams at V&H Homes that Epsom was voted as one of the top ten happiest places to live from a new list revealed by Rightmove in October.
The survey took account of various factors such as community spirit, feeling safe, the friendliness of locals, the amenities and local services available and earing enough to live comfortably.
As a local estate agent, V&H Homes are proud and delighted that Epsom has been recognised in this way.
Amazing lighting ideas for your home
Whilst we look at colours, cushions and furniture, one aspect that we may overlook is the lighting in our homes. In summer lighting is something that we don’t often have to consider but as the nights draw in, lighting helps to brighten our homes and in turn makes your property more appealing to buyers.
Don’t forget to make the most of the sun
Before making any changes, think about how much natural daylight each room receives. Is the room north or south facing? How many windows and how big they are will affect the type of light the room needs. Make use of natural daylight, whether this involves pruning a large climbing rose or swapping bulky curtains for something less instructive. You may even find switching curtains in different rooms improves the ambience.
Kerb appeal is incredibly important for first impressions, especially as some viewings will now be happening in darkness.
Electricians can be expensive especially if you don’t want to do lots of work as you will be moving soon. There are other options you could consider, like solar garden or fairy lights.
Once your buyer has successfully made through your front door, your hallway is the first internal part of your home they will see. Too often halls are relegated to becoming thoroughfares, where coats and shoes are dumped, especially if you have children.
You don’t want your buyer to think there is not enough storage in your home, so clear away any unnecessary items, and only keep out those you use on a day to day basis.
Lamps with shades made from silk or parchment diffuse the light and allow it out sideways, ideal for a bedroom.
Depending on the room, just think from a potential buyer’s point of view what they will be looking for. Rather than buy anything, perhaps move lamps around in different rooms to see what works best or even see if you can borrow a lamp or standing lamp from a relative or friend.
Is it time to switch our attention?
By using good lighting we can make sure we are showing off the best features of our homes. But don’t forget to dust! Even with the best of lighting, time flies by and before we know it there may be dust on our shades or light bulbs dimming the effect and perhaps making your home look darker and less inviting.
Lastly, don’t forget to ask your local V&H Homes negotiator, we have a wealth of experience to make selling your home as easy and smoothly as possible and can pass on other top tips for you to use.
Selling Your Home This Autumn
Summer holidays have finished, children are back in school so now is an ideal time to make that next move in your life. Here are some top tips for what you need to think about before the influx of buyers and make the most of one of the busiest times in the year for selling homes.
- One of the simplest tips, but can easily be overlooked in the hustle and bustle of everyday life, is to have a tidy-up. Store away those suitcases if you have been on holiday or, if you have children, tidy away their toys – this may even be a good time to see if they have outgrown any toys so they can be recycled for another child to enjoy.
- Now is not the time to overlook the garden! Properties with outdoor space are highly sought-after so, if you have a garden, now’s the time to make the most of it. Cut the grass and consider putting in some late flowering plants, such as dahlias, begonias and bright blue Monkshood ‘Arendii’ to add some colour.
- If you live in a flat, don’t forget window boxes or hanging baskets to add some colour. In your home, remember your house plants that may need some tender loving care by removing any dead leaves or even giving them a dust!
- When was the last time you washed your curtains or nets? An easy thing like this will refresh your home and is quick and simple to do.
- After a brilliant summer, by English standards, we are all hoping for a fantastic Indian Summer to delay autumn’s onset! However, as the year wears on there can be a bit of a nip in the air! To make your home as welcoming and inviting for viewers, try to take the chill off a room before they arrive. Even better if you have a fireplace cracking away, this will make your home as warm as toast and help them imagine that it was theirs!
- Lastly, don’t forget to ask your V&H Homes negotiator, we have a wealth of experience at hand to make selling your home as easy and smoothly as possible.